Thursday, April 5, 2012

Dirty Feet and a Grace Wash

OH, THOSE DIRTY FEET.

I can't get them out of my head or heart.  Those stinky dirty feet, cracked and calloused from miles and miles of walking.  Twelve pairs of feet, caked with layers of crusty dust.  Dirt exaggerated lines like a map on the underside, tracking every place the feet had traveled. 

EVERY.  PLACE. 

Other than acts of heart, your feet take you everywhere you go.  Every action, your feet trod the path to get you there.  Every good deed, every kindness. Your feet lead the way.   Every entanglement, every brokenness, every sin, every secret, every failure. 

FEET.  FEET.  FEET.

DIRT.  DIRT.  DIRT.

Those twelve grown men waited for a servant to come and wash their grimy feet, so they could fellowship around the table with Jesus.  Earth from the day's travel evidenced the journey beneath their sandals.  Some had feet more filthy than others. 

ONE...

HAD FEET THE FILTHIEST OF ALL.  

Jesus got up, grabbed a towel, and revealed His servant hands and heart.  He poured water into a bowl, and began to wash the feet of the twelve.  Shocked and dumbfounded, each disciple yielded their unclean toes and heels, and soles and souls to the servant king for a grace wash.  With each dip into water and scrubbing cleanse, Jesus not only washed feet, but hearts.

BETRAYER SQUIRMED.  

JESUS KNEW.

JESUS WASHED MERCY OVER THE BETRAYER'S FEET, ANYWAY.

The beautiful thing about Jesus is that He offers His mercy wash to all.  He never forces us to accept Him.  He wants His love and tenderness towards us to compel our hearts to reciprocate that love.  Some will reject Him like the betrayer among the twelve.  Some will surrender.

I AM A SURRENDERED BETRAYER.

I HAVE THE FILTHIEST FEET OF ALL.

I am salved and relieved that the dirty lines are washed from the map of where I've traveled.  Sometimes my feet still become tired and calloused, dirty and worn.  Sometimes my feet travel places they should not step.  Sometimes.  All the time.  I need a fresh bath of grace from the Mercy Washer.  I need to be re-drenched in His love, re-flooded with His tenderness, and re-affirmed by His grace.  I abandon myself to His cleansing balm, and I am so thankful that He isn't deterred by my dirty feet.

OH, THOSE DIRTY FEET.

Are your feet tired and calloused, dirty and worn?  Have your feet traveled places they should not have stepped?  Do you need a fresh bath of grace from the Mercy Washer?  Do you need to be re-drenched in His love, re-flooded with His tenderness, and re-affirmed by His grace? 

NO MATTER WHERE YOUR FEET HAVE TAKEN YOU, REMEMBER THAT HE WASHES IT ALL.

"Wash me, and I will be whiter than snow."   (Psalm 51:7)